Thursday 27 June 2013

Sweet potato and turkey Shepard's pie

This is one of my 3 year old dughter's favourite meals, and we love it to.  It's a spin on an old classic.  I decided a few thanksgivings ago, when I didn't feel like making a turkey, to mix up Sheppard's Pie.  I used ground turkey instead of beef and mixed sweet potatoes in with the white.  It has become a regular meal in our house and makes great leftovers!


Here's how to make it (not a formal recipe because I just wing it every time):

Fry a 1-2 packs of ground turkey on a pan (I usually make 2).  Peel and boil a couple large sweet potatoes and a few white potatoes.


When the turkey is mostly cooked through, add about a half cup of ketchup and BBQ sauce and some spices.



Spread the cooked and seasoned turkey into the bottom of a casserole dish.


When the potatoes are soft, drain and mash.  Stir in whatever you use to make mashed potatoes.  I use a couple tbsp of Earth Balance, some garlic seasoning, some sea salt and pepper and a bit of chicken or veggie broth if they are dry.





Meanwhile, steam up some frozen mixed veggies.  I use an organic mix from Costco which is really good.


Then spread the veggies on top of the meat.


Using a spatula, spread the mashed potatoes on top of the veggies.  Put in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes just to get it all nice and warm.


Enjoy!


Serve with gravy of choice.  Yum!











No comments:

Post a Comment