Wednesday 3 July 2013

Power packed hemp chia almond cookies - gluten and dairy free!

This weekend I was at my cousin's and she had made some peanut butter, chocolate chip, hemp and chia cookies that looked delicious, easy and fairly healthy.  Unfortunately, I couldn't have any because they were made with peanut butter, which I avoid, and chocolate chips, which I couldn't eat because they weren't dairy-free.  She told me the recipe, so I decided to adapt a bit to try them out.  The recipe is super easy and both gluten and dairy free!  Here's what I came up with.


Ingredients:
1 cup hulled hemp seeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup almond butter (I used half crunchy, half smooth)
2 eggs
(I added about 2 tbsp of quinoa flakes because with 2 eggs, the dough seemed a bit sticky, so I decided to add something different, instead of more hemp hearts)
To sweeten:  handful of chocolate chips (I put dairy-free chocolate chips in half of the recipe, since my daughter doesn't like chocolate) - add another sweetener of choice if no chocolate, as I found these a bit bland without the chocolate - next time I would try about 1/4 cup of coconut palm sugar, maple sugar, or honey.


Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Roll in balls.  Place them on parchment lined pans.  Flatten with a fork.  Put in a preheated oven at 350 for about 12 minutes.


Let cool and enjoy!  I ate probably about 5 for breakfast the next day and didn't even feel too guilt, since they are pretty healthy, since I didn't sweeten this batch.

A note about hemp: Hemp is a great source of protein, has all 9 of the essential acids, is high in fibre, has high amounts of fatty acids, good balance of Omega 6 and 3, and is a great source of phytonutrients.

A note about chia: Chia is a great source of protein, calcium, Omega-3, fibre. and nutrients such as manganese and phosphorus.


No comments:

Post a Comment