Thursday 4 July 2013

Homemade deodorant recipe

I have been working on moving to more natural home and personal care products and decided the easiest way to do that is to make my own.  I recently made my own deodorant.  The recipe I followed can be found at Wellness Mama.  
Here's how I made mine...

I mixed 3 tbsp coconut oil, 3 tbsp baking soda, 2 tbsp Shea butter, and 2 tbsp arrowroot powder.  I mixed this in a microwave safe bowl, and warmed it slightly in the microwave so it would mix easily.  I used this mixture for a while and then decided to add some essential oils for scent.  I added 10 drops of pink grapefruit essential oil and 6 drops of vanilla pure (10% in jojoba) essential oil.  I store it in a small glass container I got from Dollerama and used my label maker to make a label for it.  You can also store this in an empty deodorant container, but you would likely need to store this in the fridge, because it melts easily in warmer weather.  I haven't tried this.  I just usually use my finger to apply it, not an issue for me.



I find it really works for cutting out body odour.  The baking soda and the coconut oil have anti-bacterial properties, and it is bacteria that comes out in your sweat that makes you stink.  It is not an anti-persperant, so you will still sweat.  I reapply before a workout out, before bed, etc., as it won't last as long as deodorants that are full of junk.  I am happier knowing that I am no longer giving toxins easy access to my body!

No comments:

Post a Comment