Thursday 4 July 2013

Sensory Play - Slime dough

So, I have been trying to introduce sensory play with my kids and after seeing a blog post by Fun at Home with Kids for Borax-free Slime Dough, I decided to jump into to some messy sensory fun with my toddler.
To be honest, I have avoided most activities that are 'messy' and have probably talked too much with her about not getting messy and keeping clean, because she does not like to get messy.  Well, as I should have expected, the slime dough did not go over too well with her on our first attempt.  It was so easy to make and I thought it was really cool.  With some coaxing I was able to get her to explore it a little, but it did stick to her hands, and she did not like that.  I think I will have to ease into messy fun with her.  I am thinking I can also work on making it a little less sticky.
Anyways, here is the recipe and pictures of the slime dough we made.






















Ingredients:
2 1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup shampoo (I used Green Beaver JR Shampoo - see below)
6 tbsp water
couple drops of food colouring (I used blue)

- Formulated with the mildest plant-based cleansers
- Canadian organic raspberry and cranberry emollients help retain moisture 
in children’s hair leaving them silky soft 

- Extra gentle shampoo
- Tear-free
- Rinses easily
- Non-drying
- Certified organic, nut free, gluten free, vegan, biodegradable



This way if my little ones decided to put this in their mouths, I felt ok with it. :)
You are supposed to mix the shampoo and colour first, then mix in the cornstarch.  Then slowly add the water in, one tbsp at a time.  I mixed it all together, because I didn't read the instructions first.  It turned out alright, but this might be why it was more messy and sticky.
I'm not sure how long this lasts or how to best store it yet.  I have it in a tupperware container on the counter, but will probably put it in the fridge.  Just add a bit of water to get it moving again.






No comments:

Post a Comment