Sunday 7 July 2013

Why wheat and dairy-free?

Just some background information about why most of my recipes are made wheat and dairy-free.  Many people in my family and my husband's family have food sensitivities and/or allergies, especially to dairy and wheat.  I think I have always been a bit intolerant to both as well, but have never done anything about it.  I was not surprise to learn that my daughter has many food sensitivities.
 I discovered this while nursing her.  I knew something was not right, as she was miserable after eating, was not gaining weight quickly, was not nursing well, was very gassy and fussy, and when she started spitting up a lot and had some blood specks in her stool I decided to get help.  My doctor unfortunately wasn't very helpful, so I went to a naturopath.  I got some specific food testing done and basically came out with a list of foods to avoid.  Within days of cutting these foods out of MY diet, both my daughter and I saw immediate results.  She was a happier baby, ate better, stopped spitting up and never blood in her stool again.  I was sold.  At that time I cut out wheat, barley and rye, but was told we could tolerate spelt gluten, so we are not completely gluten-free.  I enjoy baking and cooking with spelt, but often do completely gluten-free as well.  We completely cut out dairy, even in all its hidden forms.  I had to cut out egg whites at that time as well, along with some other random foods, but she can now have whole eggs, which is nice.  I went off the wagon when I stopped nursing her, during my second pregnancy, as I was extremely sick during my pregnancies, and found eating healthy food impossible.  However, as a precaution, I cut both wheat and dairy out of my diet again 2 weeks before my son was born and the 3 of us continue to eat this way.  My husband eats wheat and dairy, but eats a lot of what we do also.  There is a lot of adapting going on in my kitchen and I dream of a day when maybe I can cook a minimum of 2 versions of something, or just one meal.  I don't know that I would ever want to go back to eating wheat and dairy full time myself though, as I feel so much better when I am off it.  For now, I do the best I can to keep everyone happy and as healthy as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment