Sunday 6 October 2013

Sugar-free/gluten-free pumpkin spice cookies

I made these cookies this morning, as I was in the mood for something pumpkin spiced, and a 'cookie' seemed like a good way to do it.  I'm off all sugar at the moment, among many other things, so making tasty treats is a challenge!  I really enjoyed these cookies, so I thought I would share.

Here's what I came up with:
Ingredients (not very exact, but approximate amounts):
- couple tbsp of each coconut oil and coconut mana
- tbsp pumpkin pie spice and tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp stevia powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup hemp seed/chia seed/buckwheat mixture (store bought cereal mix)
- 1 cup extra of hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 350 degrees C.  Melt coconut oil and coconut mana together in a sauce pan or in the microwave.  Stir in spices and stevia.  Mix in almond butter and pumpkin.  Make sure mixture has cooled, and mix in eggs (so they don't cook at all).  Mix dry ingredients and then mix into the wet.  Add hemp seeds and/or coconut flour until you have a "gooey" but not liquid texture.  You should be able to spoon the mixture onto a parchment lined cookie tin.  The texture was not firm enough to roll or scoop 'balls', but it did form into a cookie shape.  Bake for about 12 minutes, until cookies are soft to touch, but don't fall in the centre.  Makes about 16 large cookies.  The texture is cake-ish with some crunch.  Very nice flavour.  I find the stevia leaves a bit of an aftertaste, so you can use a different sweetener, or no sweetener at all if you prefer.  I haven't experimented with xylitol yet.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment