Friday 31 May 2013

Oven Baked Maple Spice Ribs - Delicious, simple and wheat-free!

Well, I'm writing this as I cook one of my newest favourite dinner recipes.  I actually got both kids down for a nap and am about to pour myself a glass of wine as I wait in between steps of this recipe...
Ok, glass of pinot grigio in hand! 

This is an easy recipe to prepare in 1 hour.  To get started, preheat your oven to 425F.  While it is preheating you can prepare the rub for the ribs.  I decided to make baked sweet potatoes tonight, so I got those ready and threw them in the oven first.  Then I mixed the following ingredients in a bowl:
1tbsp paprika
1tbsp coconut palm sugar (or any dry sweetener/sugar)
1 tsp of sea salt (or about 5 turns of your salt grinder)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander 
1/2 cayenne pepper (or a bit more if you like a lot of spice!)
1/2 dried oregano

Then rub this all over 1 rack of pork back ribs (about 20 ribs) and put it in the oven for 45 minutes.  Start meaty side up and turn once about half way through cooking time.  



While they are cooking, prepare the sauce.  In a sauce pan, add the following ingredients:

1/2 cup ketchup (I used Bodacious Ketchup by HoneyBunny tonight instead of Heinz)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (I used unrefined and unpasteurized)
1 tbsp maple syrup (I used a medium)
1 tbsp gluten-free Worcestershire sauce (I made my own by mixing 1/2 filling a tbsp with gluten-free hoisin sauce, 1/4 tbsp wheat-free soya sauce, add a couple shakes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce, a few shakes of fish sauce, and a splash of lime juice)
1 tsp chili powder

Leave the sauce until there is 10 minutes left for the ribs.  Wash and cut up some veggies to steam or make a salad while you wait.

When there is 10 minutes left on the ribs, bring the sauce to a boil and reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally for 10 minutes.  Put your veggies on to steam at this time too if you are making some.

Take ribs out of the oven and scoop the fat out with a spoon.  Baste the ribs with sauce and then turn the ribs again so they are meat side up and baste that side.  Put the ribs back in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce is sticky.



Enjoy!  




Source: I came across this recipe when our bbq was on the fritz and we really wanted to eat some ribs, so I went in search of an oven baked ribs recipe.  This is my very slightly adapted version of the recipe I found on canadianliving.com - Oven Baked Maple Ribs for original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment